Monday 27 February 2017

Etsy shop finds...a chat with Livi Gosling

This months etsy interview is with Livi Gosling.
Livi is a Hertfordshire based illustrator, and creates beautiful artworks with a strong focus around her two favourite things; travel and food.
Since creating a food map for Jamie magazine back in 2013, she's been busy with commissions for more, and you can buy some of her lovely maps in he etsy shop... Amsterdam, London, Helsinki and many more.
And let's just take a moment to appreciate her super cute little food cart series, oh my!

Lets get to know a bit more about Livi shall we...


1. Can you tell us a bit about you and your background... 

I studied Illustration at Falmouth University. 
Living and learning in Cornwall for three years was an absolute joy. 



2. What books/ magazines are you currently reading/ admiring/ perusing?

I'm loving Grace Bonney's 'In The Company Of Women.' It's a truly inspiring read.



3. Tell us about a typical day for you…

I get to my studio building at 9 and then it's a day of freelance projects until around 6pm. I have desk space at my parent's design studio, where I help out with social media, make tea and answer the phone very badly. 
My boyfriend is a Designer there too so I have pretty excellent company. It's also pretty useful to have a structured 9-6 working week. 
I find that I'm far more productive. 


4. Can you give us an insight into your creative process?

I draw out my illustrations onto A3 cartridge paper with my trusty mechanical pencil. 
I then add monochrome tones in black indian ink and scan everything in so that I can arrange my illustrations in Photoshop. 
I add colour digitally.


5. I absolutely adore your food cart series of artworks, 
but whats your favourite item for sale in the shop? And also, the most popular item?

Thanks so much! I'd say that my doughnut food cart print is my favourite as it's full of treats that I most want to eat. 
If you look closely at the menus on my food cart series, you'll notice that I've listed lots of delicious things that I personally, would LOVE to eat. 




6. Complete the following sentence... 
    My happy place is...…… 

On the sofa, eating pudding and watching films with my boyfriend. 
I'm incredibly boring.


7. What are you currently passionate about or fascinated by and how is it inspiring your work?

I absolutely adore food. 
I'd say that wanting to get home for dinner definitely inspires me to work faster so that I can get home quicker… Although I doubt that's quite what you meant!! 
There are so many places around the world that I'd love to visit. 
I don't think it's a coincidence that food and travel both feature so prominently in my work. 


8. What’s the most rewarding thing about being a designer/illustrator?

I'm self-employed and I love being my own boss. 
I'm incredibly stubborn so it suits me pretty well. 
I also love seeing my work in print. 
It's so satisfying being able to hold something that you've created. 


9. In three words, describe your work… 

Inky, tactile, painterly.

10. What makes you laugh?

People falling over. 



11. What's your guilty pleasure?

Cheese. 
Without a doubt. 



(all images above copyright of Livi Gosling)


A big thank you to Livi for giving us an insight into her world.

You can follow Livi here...


x x x


SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig