Friday 9 November 2018

Etsy shop find...a chat with Roeqiya Fris

This months etsy interview is with Roeqiya Fris, a Dutch/Egptian illustrator currently based in Rotterdam, whose work is continually inspired by arabic culture, fashion and nature.
Available as prints in her etsy shop, her stunning paintings can be bought to adorn your home, instantly adding atmosphere, a sense of magic and not to mention those beautiful, rich colours. 
There is so much wonderful detail and pattern in her work, from the florals,
botanicals, fashion prints through to landscapes and architecture.

Lets get to know a little more about Roeqiya shall we...

1. Can you tell us a bit about you and your background? 

I’m a Dutch-Egyptian illustrator, living in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. 
In 2005 I graduated from the Willem de Kooning Academy of Visual Arts. 
I’ve worked as a fine art teacher, ran a creative workshop company called Fris Projecten for
6 years and started to really focus on creating my own illustration works about 1 years ago.


2. Tell us about a typical day for you... 

It starts in the morning with bringing my son to school. 
After that I usually start my working day. I work at home so no commute for me.
First I answer the emails and do some administration (Etsy things too) and after that I start drawing/painting for a commission or for myself.
I like to have lunch with a friend or my sisters, who live in the neighbourhood.
After that I do some housekeeping or some more drawing, and when my son comes back from school late in the afternoon we play a while and when my Husband comes home we eat together. 
In the evening I like to do yoga, watch Netflix or have a drink with friends.


3. What's your favourite item listed for sale in your shop? And the most popular item?

Favourite: the print ‘Drive like an Egyptian’. 
Most popular: the print ‘Morocco’


4. How would you describe your style/ work? 

I draw and paint with ecoline, watercolour, markers, pencils and gouache on paper.
My work is full of patterns and colours, and most of the time there are women and animals in it. 


5. Can you give us an insight into your creative process?

I gather pictures of women, Arabic/Mediterranean scenes, plants. 
When I start to paint I use these pictures as inspiration. 
After visiting a movie, an exhibition, a city or county I like to make a painting about it, about the feeling it gives me. 
Sometimes I paint scenes that remind me of travels of my childhood, for example to Egypt or Spain.


6. Where do you work? Describe your studio/ work area...

I work at home, I have my workspace in the Living room. 
I like this because I have everything I need there and I don’t have to travel to an office or studio. 
I don’t have a lot of time to work, so this really makes a difference for me.


7. Who are your design heroes and what inspires you? 

Matisse, Rousseau, I love their use of colours and patterns. 


8. Tell us ten random facts about yourself... 

I drink decaf because I can’t sleep when I’ve had drinks with caffeine
I have a white longhaired Persian cat
I live in the city centre of Rotterdam
I love Spanish Netflix series
I hate rain
I’m scared of spiders and wasps
I’m the mother of a special needs boy
I live with my Husband, who is my childhood sweetheart 
I have 4 sisters and 1 brother
I love the sea


9. What are you currently passionate about or fascinated by and how is it inspiring your work? 

I’m passionate about Arabic culture (countries), I love everything about it; the colours, the buildings, the smell. It’s really inspiring for me, as you can probably see in my work


10. What's the most rewarding thing about being a designer?

Being able to capture a certain atmosphere in a painting, allowing me to express myself creatively and communicate visually.

- - - - - - - - - -

A huge thanks to Roeqiya for being part of the etsy interview series and giving us an insight into her world.
To see more of her beautiful work, head to her instagram page. 

x x x
SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig