Thursday 1 December 2016

Etsy shop find...a chat with Amelia Flower!

This months etsy shop interview is with the lovely Amelia Flower.
Amelia is a UK based illustrator and designer.
Working from her studio in the Cotswolds, she creates beautiful illustrations and sells them as greeting cards in her etsy shop, aswell as sharing her wonderful designs on her website and instagram account.
A self confessed people watcher and lover of ceramics, Amelia is inspired by everything around her and spends a lot of time drawing, and its these doodles that go on to produce her fun, bright and colourful card designs.
Gorgeous!

So, lets get to know a bit about the artist shall we....


1. Can you tell us a bit about you and your background...

I've always been constantly drawing. 
I was incredibly shy throughout school, and would sit in lessons drawing in my exercise books and then I'd get my sketchbook out at lunch time and continue drawing. 
I really am obsessed! 
After A Levels, I took my Art Foundation course at Oxford Brookes, and then moved on to the Arts University Bournemouth to study Animation. 
The day after graduating, I started working as a Creative Artworker (a case of 'right place, right time'!) for a well-known party and stationery company. 
Two months ago, I moved to London to work as a full-time designer, which is where I am now! 
I'm 18 months post-University, so I know how fortunate I am to have found such great employment so far in the creative industries! 



2. What books/ magazines are you currently reading/ browsing?


I've recently finished Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, and have started re-reading Quiet by Susan Cain- a must for any fellow introverts! 


3. Who are your design heroes and what inspires you?

A popular choice, but Quentin Blake is my absolute favourite. 
I saw an exhibition of his original drawings from Kitty in Boots at the House of Illustration recently. 
His style is so distinctive, that even a smudge of ink on paper is instrantly recognisable as his. 
I've recently discovered Mouni Feddag- her work is so vivid and full of life. 
Some more favourites are Jordan Sondler, Carolyn Suzuki, Nina Cosford, Polly Fern, I could go on..!



4. Tell us about a typical day for you...

I am a morning person, and usually get up between 6 and 7 and go for a run before I do anything else. 
I love to run, and it helps me to concentrate for the day if I have been active before I sit down at my desk. 
I am most productive late in the evening or very early in the morning, so I try to make the most of those times!


5. Can you give us an insight into your creative process?

I am an obsessive people-watcher, and my ideas usually come from sitting in a nice cafe with a coffee and drawing people in the street outside. 
I love to see what people are wearing, and like to imagine what they are talking about, or where they might be going that day. 
From these drawings, I might find a character or two that I love, and develop them into an illustration. 
People-watching also inspires stories and scenarios that are usually the starting point for a new design. 



6. Top 5 favourite things in life...

Drawing, having a new Moleskine sketchbook, Breakfast, all things Danish, and good stationery shops.



7. What’s the most popular item for sale in your etsy shop? And also, your favourite?

My most popular card is a print of Yoga poses, which is also my favourite! 



8. How would you describe your work/style?

My style has changed a lot over time, and in the last year or two I have refined my style into something that really works for me. 
My parents bought me a very good graphics tablet for my 17th birthday, and I still use the same one every day, almost seven years later- a great investment, Dad! 


9. What art do you have on your wall?

Currently, nothing, which is a real shame. 
I've recently moved into a rented house, so the walls are still very bare! 


10. What's your guilty pleasure?

My boyfriend says 'Abba', and he's probably right. 
Also, Grand Designs.


11. What are your top three blogs?


So many! 
I've been reading Emma Block's blog for a few years. 
Her illustrations are beautiful, and her work always inspires me. 
I also enjoy reading Creative Review and Ape On The Moon.


12. What’s the most rewarding thing about being a designer/illustrator?

Being able to do what I love!


(all images above are copyright of Amelia Flower)

A big thank you to Amelia for sharing her world with us.

You can follow her on various social media here...


x x x
SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig